Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Literacy and Hoax Sites

I really enjoyed the discussions we had in class today about literacy and the need to teach our students how to recognize when a site is reliable or not. I feel like getting our students ready, technology-wise, is very important. The world we live in is relying more and more on technology, and in order to be successful it is vital that they are ready and able to use technology.

The site that I had to evaluate was: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm (FlikFX)

There were a lot of things about the site which I noticed that led me to deem it a fake. However, the things I saw were not things that a young student might be able to identify as false. For instance, the claim that the site had won an Oscar for its work in recomposition of films. But, there were other things that a student could investigate that could lead them to the conclusion that the site wasn't for real. By going to the "Email here" link, one would find themselves redirected to a page that introduces them to the curator of the American Widescreen Museum (which also makes it seem legitimate), but if you google the American Widescreen Museum, you would find yourself taken to a site that is not FlikFX.

I also was able to determine that the site was a hoax by googling the url, and looking at the various sites where they talked about how the site was fake.

Overall, class today was informative and definitely gave me new insight into technology in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment